$74,620.69 - $89,688.33
Hydrology, Hydrology - GIS, Hydrology - Ground Water
The reasons people call Colorado home often include a passion for the outdoors, a diverse and dynamic community and the contemporary pace to life that appeals to all ages! As you'll soon discover, the Town of Erie offers the best of all of these and without a doubt is one of the top places to consider when making your next career move. With majestic mountain views and progressive civic vision, we provide a genuine small-town feel with modern amenities. Our residents enjoy a high quality of life. It is our employees who have been instrumental in creating what Erie is today and continue to shape what it will be in the future. The Town of Erie is an organization that has established an outstanding reputation for quality and excellent customer service. Each individual employee contribution is what makes that possible.
We invite you to join our team today!
What you will be doing
Responsible for the overall coordination for a variety of complex projects and sustainability and water conservation programs for the Town. Under broad guidance and direction, the Sustainability Specialist coordinates the development of sustainability planning, water conservation related projects and supports the Sustainability Advisory Board. Identifies causes of high water consumption and customizes solutions to water use through notification to customers, research of water use history, landscape measurements, water need calculations, scheduling of water efficiency checkups and appointments, and tracking and analyzing water usage to monitor effectiveness of various strategies.
Examples of Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below list is intended to be illustrative of the responsibilities of the position and not all encompassing. The Town may change these duties at any time.
- Performs project coordination by initiating, managing, coordinating and directing special projects and programs for the Town and Department. Oversees the preparation of RFPs, RFQs and other pre-bid materials, contract selection procedures, and contract award.
- Confers with management in order to develop project plans and goals, scope of work, schedules, and project plans including time frames, funding limitations, contract costs, risk factors, and allocation of available resources.
- Manages and coordinates internal and external sustainability and water conservation efforts withTown departments, outside agencies, affected community and business organizations, and/or other stakeholders.
- Assists with the management of financial activities associated with special projects and communicates closely with the Public Works Director. Includes overall cost and expense management, project cost accounting and internal cost allocations.
- Represents the Town and department at various meeting such as the Sustainability Advisory Board, Board of Trustees, Planning Commission, public meetings, and with other governmental agencies and organizations as needed.
- Handles difficult and/or technical correspondence maintains accurate records, reports, financial reports, and statistical reports. May require posting project information and various updates to the Town or Department websites.
- Establishes and maintains traditional and electronic record keeping systems and complies with all record retention policies of the Town.
- Assists in managing project budgets, schedules, action and work plans, and resources to project completion, Identifies and develops external funding opportunities, including funding from grants and incentive programs.
- Leads projects and initiatives, oversees an organization's sustainability and water conservation efforts by fostering cooperation among internal departments or community partners. Fosters change by encouraging internal and external stakeholders to adopt and practice environmentally conscious operating procedures.
- Works across all departments to develop programs to encourage adoption of sustainability.
- Manages programs designed to reduce waste, promote efficient water use or improve energy efficiency.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships and works cooperatively with other Town departments and external agencies.
- Prepares and presents clear and concise presentations to various Boards and committees as well as Town staff.
- Serves on committees or attends meetings of community partner organizations to further Erie's sustainability environment and efficient water use
- Develops strategies to further Erie's sustainability environment and efficient water use
- Performs related work as required and assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Associate degree in Environmental Science, Engineering Sciences, Water Science, Sustainability or a related field.
- Two (2) years of progressively responsible sustainability or water conservation work in Public Works, Engineering or similar environment.
- A combination of education and experience may be considered
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Knowledge of procedures, policies, rules and regulations governing administrative functions.
- Knowledge of current office procedures and practices.
- Computer literacy, especially in word processing, project coordination and database/spreadsheet programs.
- Ability to make independent decisions and judgments and assist in routine managerial decisions.
- Ability to work effectively with the public and other employees.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written with a diverse audience and at all levels.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, colleagues, supervisors, Town officials, external agencies, and the general public
- Ability to research and prepare reports for special projects.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret the Unified Development Code, Standards and Specifications, Comprehensive Plan, Master Plans, and other relevant planning documents and make suggestions for incorporation of sustainable approaches and water conservation efforts.
- Ability to successfully complete projects within a complex environment with multiple objectives and stakeholders, maintain project documents, establish agendas, set timelines, monitor and report on the progress of assigned projects ensuring project is on-time, on-target, and on-budget. Manages the selection of consultants for projects.
- Ability to establish relationships with key personnel in order to enhance an organization's sustainability and water conservation efforts.
The Town of Erie offers a comprehensive benefit package and pays a major portion of the employee premium to make these benefits more affordable for you. Coverage of these benefits begin the 1st of the month following date of hire for benefited employees working 30 hours per week. Each year you will have the option of changing your elections through open enrollment. Designated full time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Life & AD&D
- Voluntary Life & AD&D
- Employer paid Short Term Disability
- Employer paid Long Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Retirement plan with a 5% employer match with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off & Holiday Pay
- Robust extended sick leave and family sick leave program including parental leave for birth and bonding
- Employer sponsored wellness program
- Education reimbursement up to $2,000 per year
- Free membership to the Erie Community Center
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION PLEASE APPLY ONLINE AT WWW.ERIECO.GOV/JOBS.