Salary: $3,476.61 - $4,221.62 Monthly
To perform assigned tasks to construct and/or maintain City roadways, storm sewer system, parks system and facilities.
- Performs assigned tasks to construct, repair and/or maintain the City's road and street system including, but not limited to, asphalt paving and patching, striping, painting, sign installation, and replacement, mowing, brush cutting, sweeping, spraying, snowplowing, grading, and concrete patching.
- Performs assigned tasks to construct, repair and/or maintain the City's storm sewer system including, but not limited to, installing and/or cleaning storm sewer pipes and catch basins, mowing, brush cutting, ditch cleaning and shaping detention pipes, and pond cleaning.
- Performs assigned tasks to construct, repair and/or maintain the City's park system, playground equipment, and facilities including, but not limited to, mowing, edging, weeding, watering, irrigation system installation and maintenance, fertilizing, cultivating, planting, spraying, facility cleaning, trash pickup, removal, float installation and maintenance, confined space entry equipment maintenance.
- Uses a variety of hand and power operated tools and equipment including shovels, picks, manual and riding lawnmowers, blowers, trimmers, welding torches, pneumatic tools, hand compactors, pumps, jackhammer, drills, and hand tools to complete assigned maintenance and construction tasks.
- Performs routine daily maintenance and servicing of equipment including fueling, greasing, lubricating and monitoring and maintaining fluid levels.
- Performs work in compliance with federal and state laws, OSHA, WISHA and Department Policies and Procedures.
- May act as a flagger to control traffic. May plan and implement traffic control plans to allow for work in or near the traveled ways.
- Responds to emergency call outs.
- Responds to public inquiries in a courteous manner, provides response within scope of knowledge or refers to employee in higher classification.
- May perform basic carpentry and concrete finishing, welding, and painting as necessary to accomplish primary activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of safety standards and precautions related to maintenance and construction activities.
- Ability to use the mechanical tools of the trade.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend the English language.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral directions.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a work crew.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor in all weather conditions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the general public.
- Ability to listen and understand direction/instruction necessary to perform assigned tasks,
- Skill in using the hand tools and equipment of the laboring trade.
Ability to learn the safe and proficient operation of the equipment and machinery necessary to perform the assigned tasks.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to perform basic first aid methods and procedures.
- Ability to operate a variety of small trucks skillfully and safely in all types of weather conditions.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands as described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
The work is performed outdoors in all types of weather. The employee is exposed to a variety of potential hazards associated with working near or in traffic and around road and park construction and maintenance equipment. Employees may be required to work evenings, weekends or holidays and are subject to call out at any time for emergency conditions.
Duties require strenuous physical activity such as lifting and carrying heavy objects up to 50 lbs. routinely, shoveling, and other manual labor.
Minimum Educational and Experience Qualifications:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- General knowledge and experience working with small hand power pools, vegetation management equipment, heavy manual labor, and working outdoors in all weather conditions
License and Certificate Requirements:
- First Aid Certification within six months of date of hire
- State Flagging Certification within six months of date of hire
- Valid Washington State Driver's License in good standing
This position is represented by the Public, Professional & Office-Clerical Employees and Drivers Local Union No. 763 (Representing the Public Works Employees).
The City of Mukilteo is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Accommodations for individuals with disabilities are provided upon request.
We encourage workforce diversity.