SALARY: $44,159.00 - $68,868.00 Annually
Work Schedule: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, Monday-Friday (37.5 hours/week)
In order to be considered, you must submit your application at: http://durhamnc.gov/1473/City-Jobs
The purpose of this position is to assure all utility and road construction adheres to the codes and specifications set forth by the City. This is accomplished by performing on-site inspections and utilizing test equipment, plans, and permits to ensure all requirements are met. Other duties include reviewing newly submitted construction plans, verifying Right-of-Way utility permits, testing water and sewer lines, verifying project grade's Right-of way inspection assignments, and enforcing water regulations.
- Provides private development inspections by observing installation of the water distribution system; testing all concrete work for the City; documenting and filing records of construction projects; interpreting and implementing construction specifications; capturing images with a digital camera; and monitoring erosion control.
- Oversees the City's contracts by insuring codes and specifications are met; creating and maintaining documentation of contract work; verifying material quantities and submittals for payment; and attending construction related meetings.
- Oversees the Right of Way inspections program by inspecting the following: street conditions, permits, curb and gutters, driveway and sidewalk construction, drainage and water meter installation.
- Inspects driveways by checking the density and grade of cement; calculating the slope; reviewing the dimensions of the driveway; and filling out driveway forms.
- Approves street acceptance by providing walk through inspections with a Right of Way Engineer; generating a list of non-conforming issues to be corrected; and inspecting corrections for further compliance.
- Provides private utility inspections by ensuring permit compliance; inspecting work sites; issuing field reports; researching projects; and responding to citizen concerns.