Directs the staff and activities of the Public Works Department and holds overall responsibility for all road and bridge construction and maintenance, sewer districts, noxious weed control, fleet management, solid waste, engineering and completion of capital improvements. Provides organizational effectiveness and work direction for over 50 staff members and controls a budget in excess of $8,000,000.00.
Must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering and be licensed as a Professional Engineer in the State of Kansas. Must have a minimum of 10 years’ experience in road construction and design. Must have a minimum of five years’ experience in supervision/management. Must meet requirements outlined in Knowledge and Skills section marked with an *.
- Knowledge of department policies and procedures, including safety.
- Knowledge of Federal and State construction guidelines and funding processes.
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles, methods and techniques.*
- Knowledge of civil works construction procedures.*
- Knowledge of current design standards for civil engineering public works improvements.*
- Skill in design and construction of public works projects, including roads, bridges and appurtenant installations and structures.*
- Skill in planning, scheduling, managing and coordinating a civil works program including design, right-of-way acquisition and construction.*
- Skill in planning, organizing, directing, monitoring and supervising work of others.*
- Skill in communicating clearly and concisely, both oral and written.*
- Skill in management and supervision of medium size public department.