This class maintains and repairs City property, equipment, and facilities through the performance of semi-skilled and skilled labor and technical work. Incumbents provide skilled maintenance based on assignment to a City department or maintenance function. Work may include repairing buildings or grounds; maintaining and repairing equipment and parts; operating equipment; providing training and oversight of daily tasks to lower level crew members; maintaining records, including computerized record-keeping; maintaining cleanliness of work area, tools, and equipment; and following safety policies and procedures.
$32,160.00 - $48,240.00 Annually
As assigned, incumbents may serve as lead workers, assigning work and monitoring work completion.
- Exercised: This classification typically does not supervises other employees, but may serve as a lead worker;
- Received: This classification typically reports to a manager;
- Note: Other reporting relationships may apply.
Example of Duties
The City of Richmond Department of Public Utilities is seeking to fill a Maintenance Specialist - Mason position for the Stormwater Utility Division. The selected candidate will repair, replace and build/ reconstruction storm basin inlets throughout the City of Richmond on the utilities stormwater infrastructure.
Duties include, but are not limited:
- Applying and smoothing mortar or other mixtures over work surfaces using towels and floats etc;
- Measuring distance from reference points and marking guidelines to lay out work;
- Examining brick/concrete or structure to determine need of repair;
- Calculating angles and courses and determining vertical and horizontal alignment of courses;
- Mixing specified amount of sand, clay, dirt or mortar powder with water to form refractory mixture;
- Breaking or cutting bricks, tiles or blocks to size using edge of trowel, hammer or power saw;
- Laying/building sidewalks, concrete gutters, valley gutters, curbs, culvert headwalls, wheelchair ramps, and other structures which may relate to the drainage structures;
- Using dump trucks, mixer truck, vactor sewer jet trucks, front?end loader, skid steer or backhoe and other hydraulic machinery used by the division;
- Working in the Emergency Programs (e.g. ice, snow and disaster cleanups, stand by/ on- call duties (weekly) etc.).
This position is considered an essential personnel and is subject to work on-call hours and during natural disasters and emergencies.
If necessary, this position may require working nights, weekends and/or holidays, as needed.
Qualifications, Special Certifications and Licenses
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED;
- One year of college preferred;
- Three years of experience directly related to assignment;
- An equivalent combination of training and experience (as approved by the department) may be used to meet the minimum qualifications of the classification.
- Experience with one or more of the following: Building concrete forms that include rebar, wood and steel and etc.;
- Welding and/or carpentry experience is a plus;
- Under general supervision, performs skilled concrete construction of sidewalks, curbing including the cement finishing work, with knowledge of concrete curing and smoothing once laid;
- CDL driver's license class B or higher with N endorsement;
- Experience working as a lead is a plus.
LICENSING, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or OTHER SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- A valid Driver's License with a satisfactory driving record;
- A valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License within 30 days of hire;
- Some assignments may require a valid Commonwealth of Virginia