The City of Santa Clara is a "full service" city – one of only a few communities in the Bay Area that has its own police, fire, library, recreation, and electric, water, and sewer utilities, as well as all of the other departments and civic amenities expected in a thriving community. Santa Clara is a family-oriented and business-friendly city, led by a city government that has developed an award-winning ethics program and a commitment to fostering public trust. Located in Santa Clara County at the southern tip of San Francisco Bay, about 45 miles south of San Francisco, Santa Clara is a strategic regional hub, convenient to freeways, airports, railroads, expressways, light rail, and other public transportation.
The City of Santa Clara, Department of Public Works (DPW) constructs, maintains and improves various components of the City's infrastructure and provides quality, cost-effective, timely services to the residents and businesses of Santa Clara.
The Position - Code Enforcement Officer (Stormwater)
The current vacancy will be assigned to the Public Works Department and will conduct investigations related to stormwater pollution, fats, oils and grease (FOG) source control, recycled water, land use, buildings, zoning, and related municipal codes and ordinances, to determine violations and gain compliance. The Code Enforcement Officer may also be assigned to work in the Community Development Department, the Public Works Department, or the Water and Sewer Utilities Department.
Applications must be filled out completely. Please do not substitute "see resume” or see “personnel file" in the employment history section of the application. To be considered for this position, candidates must submit a 1) City Employment Application and 2) Resume, no later than 4:00 PM on Friday, September 11, 2020. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee admittance into the examination process. Only the most qualified candidates who demonstrate the best combination of qualifications in relation to the requirements and duties of the position will be invited to test
• Conducts field surveys, inspections and investigations of land use, site and environmental conditions, or building construction
• Documents inspections, violations, actions and compliance
• Issues notices and citations and follows up to ensure compliance
• Answers questions and interprets ordinances, policies procedures and code enforcement concepts to assist applicants and general public
• Prepares record of deficiencies noted and compliance achieved
• Responds to complaints of zoning code violations or building code violations
• Prepares reports, maps, recommendations and other correspondence on code enforcement matters
• Coordinates actions with other City Departments, outside agencies and the public to identify and resolve code violation problems
• Establishes and maintain files and records related to citations and violations
• Supervises, trains and evaluates assigned staff
• Directs supporting activities of administrative and paraprofessional staff
• Prepares and presents public presentations and staff reports involving code enforcement
• Prepares and develops ordinances relating to code enforcement
• Represents the City in court actions related to enforcement
• Researches and prepares cases for prosecution; testifies at administrative hearings and/or in court; and assists with testimony of other staff witnesses