WRECO is an award-winning engineering consulting firm established in 1995 with offices in Walnut Creek, Oakland, San Jose, Elk Grove, and Los Angeles, CA. We develop innovative solutions for civil engineering, water resources, geotechnical engineering, and environmental projects. WRECO resolves sophisticated engineering and environmental problems in local communities, watersheds, streams, wetlands, estuaries and coastal areas with feasible and cost-effective solutions. As a certified Green Business, we understand the importance of sustainability. We consider the environment for every project in which we are involved. To learn more about our projects, please visit us at wreco.com.
WRECO currently has an immediate opening for an Environmental Scientist in our Walnut Creek, California office.
What You’ll Do:
- Possible responsibilities will include water quality, hydrology, geology, and hazardous material related support including the following:
- Preparation of resource impact studies including for hazardous material resources as part of CEQA and NEPA clearance for municipal projects.
- Research and preparation of Initial Site Assessments (ISA), Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments (ESA), and Preliminary Site Investigations (PSI).
- Identification and application of construction and post-construction stormwater BMPs.
- Independent project implementation with little oversight.
- Lead field investigations to ensure compliance with the statewide Construction General NPDES Permit (CGP).
- Support drafting of Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans and Water Pollution Control Plans
- Independently perform pre-field preparation, water and soil monitoring, sample preparation, lab delivery, and results interpretation
- Assist with drafting portions of agency permit applications including NPDES permit NOIs, water quality certification, streambed alteration agreements, etc.
- Preparation of environmental resources maps using graphics software.
- Performance of basic hydrology measurements and calculations (drainage area: area, volume, flow, etc.).
- Limited project management including direct integration with clients and attendance of key management meetings.
- Experience preparing ISAs, ESAs, and/or PSIs.
- Proficiency with GIS mapping software (e.g. ArcMap).
- Experience working with resource agencies and environmental regulations.
- Familiarity with CEQA and/or NEPA process.
- Familiarity with California NPDES water quality regulations and best management practices (BMPs).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Willingness to work in a variety of field environments, from remote wilderness areas to highly urbanized areas.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Interest in, or have acquired the following certifications: QSP, QISP, 40-Hour HAZWOPER, CDPH Lead Sampling Technician.
- Experience interpreting laboratory analytical data from soil and water screening (e.g. VOCs, metals, TPH, STLC, TCLP, etc.).
- Working knowledge of basic statistics.
- Reading construction plans and specifications.
- Reading and navigating using TOPO maps or satellite imagery.
- Experience using field monitoring equipment such as pH meter, turbidimeter, GPS instrument, etc.
- Willingness to train on-the-job in required areas of experience or technical skills.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and/or MicroStation.
- Experience using field survey equipment.
Your Professional Profile
- 5 years of post-collegiate environmental science experience.
- 3+ years of field experience in soil and water quality monitoring.
- Bachelor of science degree in environmental sciences (or equivalent).
- Qualified Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan Practitioner (QSP) preferred.
- Qualified Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan Developer (QSD) – a plus.
Please visit us at wreco.com to apply.
Candidates who move forward in the final selection process will be subject to a reference check as a condition of our hiring policy.
WRECO offers an excellent company paid benefits package including health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance and Simple IRA with employer match. WRECO is a proud equal opportunity workplace.