Closes May 31, 2020
This position is responsible for the implementation of capital improvement projects, and for the development and review of stormwater and sediment and erosion control plans.
Apply at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/savannah
Essential Job Functions
- Manages the planning, design, bidding, construction, and close-out of stormwater capital improvement projects to ensure projects are completed on schedule and within budget.
- Reviews the design of private development projects to ensure compliance with city and design standards; makes recommendations to consultants and designers concerning project compliance; answers questions and provides information regarding projects and standards; attends meetings with developers and consultants; investigates complaints and petitions; reviews as-built documents and updates the computerized system; evaluates analysis completed by consultants.
- Reviews and updates stormwater management ordinances; reviews and updates standard construction details; reviews and updates erosion and sedimentation control ordinances; reviews and updates flood zone ordinances.
- Reviews the design of capital improvement projects for compliance with city and design standards; makes recommendations to management regarding such projects; answers questions in regard to projects and engineering.
- Inspects construction; coordinates with assigned Construction Inspectors; provides advice and guidance to contractors.
- Reviews and approves pay applications for consultants and contractors; evaluates and approves contract change orders and amendments.
- Tracks detailed expenditures for professional construction services to ensure the work is completed within the approved budget.
- Prepares correspondence, memoranda, and reports; updates project status reports and computerized project management system.
- Reviews submittals, requests for information, technical reports, laboratory analysis and coordinates with contractor and engineer of record during construction process.
- Prepares Request for Proposals, Invitation for bids, construction contracts and technical specifications for upcoming projects; evaluates bids and proposals; recommends award; and executes contract.
- Ensures contracted engineering and construction services follow the city's procurement policies.
- Ensures projects are completed in compliance with the city's Minority and Women Business Enterprise program.
- Participates in post-event emergency response activities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering with four (4) years of engineering management experience including civil engineering, engineering management design and/or construction inspection; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Requires a U.S. State Professional Engineering License or the ability to obtain the Georgia license within six months of hire date.
Requires Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Commercial Level II Certified Design Professional.
Must possess and maintain a valid state driver's license with an acceptable driving history.
Background investigation, including supervised drug screen, post offer/pre-employment medical screen; and verification of education, certifications, and licenses required prior to employment.
- Knowledge of engineering design theories and principles.
- Knowledge of city personnel policy.
- Knowledge of construction theories and principles.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of capital improvement cost estimation and contract administration.
- Knowledge of city budgeting and purchasing policies.
- Knowledge of computers, other modern office equipment, and job-related computer applications and modern office practices and procedures.
- Skill in developing and reviewing engineering plans and designs for municipal stormwater projects.
- Skill in developing and administering contracts.
- Skill in developing short- and long-range plans.
- Skill in establishing priorities and organizing work.
- Skill in the training and supervision of personnel.
- Skill in the operation of computers and other modern office equipment.
- Skill in public and interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.