Performs a variety of skilled and supervisory responsibilities for the operations and maintenance of the Street/Wastewater Collection/Stormwater Divisions.
$31.83 - $36.15 Hourly
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises and schedules duties of street, wastewater collection and stormwater personnel including training, organizing, prioritizing and inspecting work efforts.
- Participates with maintenance crews in the construction, repair, maintenance and cleaning of the streets, sewers, storm drains, and related facilities.
- Make recommendations to the Operations Manager on the counseling, training, performance evaluation, hiring, and discipline of subordinate employees.
- Operates a variety of heavy and light equipment used in construction, maintenance and repair.
- Assist in budget preparation, tracking and simple accounting.
- Track operations and maintenance, including implementation of work order system, job scheduling and tracking, time sheet preparation, provide cost estimates and outlines for work projects.
- Represents Street, Wastewater Collection and Stormwater Divisions at appropriate meetings, including but not limited to; Public Works staff meetings, weekly tailgate safety meetings, budget hearings, or any Council appointed Committee that relates to these divisions.
- Works with other City Department heads and consultants on preparation and updates of annual Capital Improvements Program, Street, Wastewater Collection and Stormwater Comprehensive Plans. Assist in the coordination and or information with Jefferson County, State Department of Transportation, FEMA and others, assist in compiling information on Transportation Improvement Program.
- Provides information and assistance in the development of City compliance with State Department of Transportation, Police Department, Washington State Ferries and other transportation programs.
- Reviews new developments for compliance with street, wastewater collection and stormwater codes so that there is consistency with Street, Wastewater Collection and Stormwater Comprehensive Plans.
- Performs and assist in inspections on street, wastewater collection and stormwater repairs and new installations.
- Attends weekly Development Review Meetings when required, reviewing street development permits, etc..
- Providing recommendations for compliance with City Street, Wastewater Collection and Stormwater Utility Ordinances.
- Effectively supervises emergency work efforts during severe weather conditions, including wind, rain and snow storms, and flooding.
- Responds to public inquires in a timely and effective manner.
This position is subject to standby status.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Materials, methods, practices and use of equipment used in street, wastewater collection and stormwater maintenance and construction.
- Operation and maintenance requirements of trucks and heavy power-driven equipment
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices necessary to provide a safe work environment.
- Traffic laws, ordinances and regulations involved with heavy equipment and truck operations.
- M.U.T.C.D. regulations and requirements.
- Make recommendations to the Operations Manager on the counseling, training, performance evaluation, and discipline of subordinate employees.
- Respond to questions regarding billing and credit from Utility Billing staff, including general inquiries and customer complaints.
- Effectively evaluate, supervise and assist in repairs of the street, wastewater collection and stormwater systems.
- Coordinate work with contractors and vendors for city street, wastewater collection and stormwater operations.
- Identify necessary tasks in street, wastewater collection and stormwater maintenance, snow removal, storm water control, equipment acquisition, and the operation and maintenance of thereof.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of street, wastewater collection and stormwater systems.
- Prepare reports and maintenance records of activities performed by the Street, Wastewater Collection and Stormwater Divisions.
- Read and interpret construction plans and drawings.
- Five years experience involving street, wastewater collection and stormwater operations and maintenance, including personnel supervision experience and responsibility for heavy equipment operation.
- Washington Commercial Drivers License (CDL) Class "A" or must obtain within 12 months in this position.
- Washington Wastewater Collection Specialist I Certificate.
- First Aid/CPR certification or must obtain within 12 months in this position.
- Traffic Control and Flagging certification or must obtain within 6 months in this position.
- Two years of college or equivalent training and experience.
- Ability to lift 60 pounds (example: catch basin grates and sewer maintenance lids
- Walking for extended periods of time
- Full range of motor skills, dexterity of hands and fingers to operate hand held tools
- Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to pick up and remove debris from streets, catch basins, etc.
- Vision and hearing at level required to perform essential functions (may be corrected)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
OTHER CITY REQUIREMENTS
- Punctual and consistent attendance
- Possess a Washington Drivers License and maintain a driving record acceptable to the City's insurance carrier.
- Dress and grooming appropriate to the position.
- Safety attire, equipment and practices appropriate to the position.
- Deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees
The City of Port Townsend is an equal employment opportunity employer. The City employs, retains, promotes, disciplines and otherwise treats all employees and job applicants strictly on the basis of job-related qualifications and competence. These policies and all employment practices shall be applied without regard to any individual's sex, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation (including gender identity), pregnancy, age, marital status, military status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed. The employee occupying the position will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by their supervisors.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the City and the employee and is subject to change as the needs of the City and requirements of the job change.