$7,402.52 - $9,088.16 Monthly
The City of Oakland is currently recruiting to fill a Public Works Supervisor II position with the Department of Transportation. Under general direction in the Public Works Department (OPW) or Department of Transportation (DOT), the Public Works Supervisor II plans, organizes, directs and reviews all the programs and activities related to the construction, maintenance, repair and cleaning of the City's infrastructure and related improvements. The successful candidate administers capital improvement projects and oversees the implementation of public infrastructure projects; assists with budget preparation and monitoring; supervises, trains and evaluates assigned staff; and performs related duties as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
• Plan, schedule and direct the work of Public Work Supervisor I's and their crews involved in the construction, maintenance, installation and repair of the City's infrastructure within the City's right of way, easements and various capital improvement projects
• Develop and monitor a Maintenance Management Program; review and recommend changes in program on an annual and biweekly basis; review and monitor program budgets
• Review and comment on maintenance and construction projects, both private and public, including performing plan checking; coordinate with other departments in the planning and scheduling of traffic, paving, storm drain, sanitary sewer, street sweeping, illegal dumping, graffiti abatement, vegetation management and street projects; implement cost control programs
• Assist in the preparation of contracts for asphalt resurfacing, heavy paving, sewer repair, equipment rental and the procurement of construction materials and supplies; administer contracts
• Plan, develop and monitor sanitation activities related to street and public property cleaning
• Respond to service requests and inquiries from the public, the City Administrator's Office and other public agencies; use professional judgement to take necessary action; attend community meetings relating to infrastructure programs and projects
• Supervise, train, motivate and evaluate subordinate staff; recommend disciplinary action as necessary
• Prepare and administer employee training programs in supervision, safety, health and hazardous waste disposal
• Organize and direct emergency programs
• Prepare and maintain records and reports
• Utilize Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) for monitoring annual work plans and preparing reports
• Operate a motor vehicle in the performance of assigned duties
The ideal candidate will possess comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of public works administration and possess effective communication skills with the ability to direct, plan, organize and evaluate a public infrastructure program. This candidate will be adept at providing alternative solutions, guidance, motivation, and mentorship to subordinate supervisory staff in the implementation and monitoring of proposed projects, comprehensive maintenance schedules and budgetary practices.
Minimum qualifications include a high school diploma or equivalent and 3 years of experience comparable to Public Works Supervisor I in the City of Oakland. An Associate's or higher degree in public works maintenance, personnel management or a related field is desirable.
Closing Date: September 24, 2018
To apply, please visit the City of Oakland’s career page: www.governmentjobs.com/careers/oaklandca. EOE