JUNIOR OR STAFF ENGINEER – NHC BELLINGHAM OR SEATTLE Northwest Hydraulic Consultants (NHC) is an international firm of consulting civil engineers and geoscientists providing specialist services for the development, management, and protection of water resources. We are seeking talented junior or staff level engineers for our Bellingham or Seattle, Washington offices. The job classification will be dependent upon the successful candidate's qualifications and experience.
Junior and Staff level engineers work closely with Senior Engineers and Principals supporting hydraulic, hydrologic, and geomorphic analyses as well as bank protection, fish passage, and habitat restoration designs. You will typically work on 2-4 projects at a given time. Assignments may include numerical hydrologic and hydraulic modeling, field assessment of streams and rivers, engineering design, data analysis, and development of study or design reports.
Required Skills and Experience
- M.S. or Ph.D. in civil/water resources/environmental engineering, fluvial geomorphology, hydrology, or a closely related field. Relevant course work and/or research should be listed in resume or discussed in cover letter.
- Licensed Engineer in Training with ability to obtain professional license in Washington State within 3 years. Current professional license (Professional Engineer or Licensed Geologist) is a plus.
- Strong technical writing background with demonstrated ability to prepare written reports and communicate effectively.
- Self-motivated with the ability to solve engineering problems and work collaboratively on project teams.
- Experience in projects that include problem evaluation, alternatives analysis, planning, design, and construction. Preference for experience with fish passage, instream habitat enhancement, flood protection, bank protection design, and stormwater planning/design.
- Ability to complete on-site project work including field surveys, stream assessments, hydraulic measurements, and construction observation.
- Proficiency in GIS and/or Civil 3D software programs. Please describe level of experience with both platforms.
- Only U.S. citizens or applicants that have, or can readily obtain, a permanent work permit will be considered for employment.
- Specialized experience or training in watershed science, fluvial geomorphology, sediment transport, fish passage, or hydraulic design. Please list any specialized training or experience.
- Experience applying hydrologic and hydraulic computer models. List the specific models in the employment application (either in the cover letter or your resume).
- Computer programming. Describe experience with specific programming languages.
- Surveying and field data collection/measurements. Describe experience/training as it relates to water resources.
- Coursework or experience in geology and fluvial geomorphology.
NHC offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, including annual merit-based bonuses. Most importantly, NHC offers the opportunity to work with like-minded individuals in an independent and specialized firm on technically challenging projects.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and references via email to this link. NHC is an equal opportunity employer and strives for workforce diversity. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.