The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Senior Green Infrastructure Engineer position will provide leadership and engineering expertise to an interdisciplinary, inter-departmental team responsible for leading the development and implementation of the City’s Integrated Rainwater Management Plan and Green Infrastructure Strategy. The Senior Green Infrastructure Engineer will be focused on scoping implementation plan programs, policy and design prototype development, funding mechanisms and strategies.
The role will support the City’s efforts to be a leader in clean water, green buildings, access to nature in the urban environment, fostering a green economy and building a resilient city in the face of a changing climate.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership, forward thinking, and engineering policy, planning, design and implementation expertise
to a team of highly motivated, inter-disciplinary professionals
- Work cross-functionally with other City departments, external agencies and community stakeholders to develop implementation plan actions, designs, programs and implementation timelines that integrate multiple objectives in key areas such as climate change resilience, transportation planning and design, urban design, rezoning and developments, green jobs, bio-diversity and habitat and community building
- Develop and apply frameworks to identify, evaluate, and prioritize actions and programs to be included in the Green Infrastructure Implementation Program
- Develop a program to monitor progress towards the City’s long-term integrated rainwater management target
- Explore and evaluate existing and potential funding tools and economic models to support the
implementation of green infrastructure
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of sewer and drainage designers, urban form and transportation designers, landscape and ecosystem specialists
- Develop a framework and processes for integrating green infrastructure in to the City’s asset management programs
- Supervise engineers and other technical staff
- Represent the Green Infrastructure Implementation Branch in departmental and organizational strategic plans and planning programs
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Water Resource or Environmental Engineering
- Minimum 8 years of experience as a professional engineer
- Registration or eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A sound working knowledge and experience in the application of engineering principles
- Experience developing engineering-related policy and implementation plans
- Experience analyzing, prioritizing and implementing projects over a multi-year time horizon, developing budgets for programs and analyzing the financial, environmental and other implications of policy proposals
- Experience developing and managing consultant and construction contracts (including scopes of work,requests for proposals and contract execution), developing budgets for infrastructure capital works and forecasting operational and maintenance needs for capital works
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of the Regional Liquid Waste Management Plan and Provincial and Federal environmental regulations and related municipal responsibilities would be an asset
- Strong knowledge or skill in using computer software such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to work independently and to provide professional interdisciplinary advice and technical guidance while functioning effectively in a team environment
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: February 2019
Apply directly on our website at: https://jobs.vancouver.ca/job/Vancouver-Senior-Green-Infrastructure-Engineer-Brit/523913600/
Application Close: January 13, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.