The Orange County Environmental Protection Division is seeking to fill an Environmental Specialist II or Senior Environmental Specialist level position, to provide professional support to the NPDES (National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System) Program which oversees compliance with the County’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) NPDES Permit, issued by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP). The County’s Phase I MS4 NPDES Permit requires the County to implement a program that provides protection of surface waters from stormwater pollution and activities that improve water quality. The successful candidate will serve as a part of a team responsible for conducting compliance inspections, providing compliance support and information to the regulated community and will serve as lead on enforcement activities that arise from compliance inspections. The position involves independent fieldwork throughout the county, requiring considerable independence and responsibility.
- Manage and coordinate inspection activities at assigned sites for compliance with county code and NPDES permit requirements.
- Conduct sampling to determine if discharges from sites comply with surface water quality standards.
- Responsible for inspection of construction sites for compliance with NPDES Construction Generic Permit (CGP) requirements and County code. Review
- Conduct inspections of industrial and commercial facilities for sources of stormwater pollution and compliance with any applicable NPDES Multi-Sector Generic Permits (MSGP).
- Proactive inspections of privately maintained stormwater systems to ensure proper operation and maintenance as required by county code and the Environmental Resource Permit issued for the system.
- Prepare inspection reports and non-compliance letters following inspections of facilities and coordinate the resolution of any non-compliance issues identified.
- Serve as the face of Orange County to the public and provide information to businesses and citizens on stormwater and water quality related issues.
- Educate county staff and private businesses/citizens on NPDES and water quality issues.
- Ability to review stormwater pollution prevention plans (SWPPP) for their accuracy and completeness.
- Act as liaison with other County departments and other local and state agencies on NPDES and water quality issues.
- Attend public meetings and provide public assistance, including education.
Field focused position requires ability to work outdoors in adverse conditions or on difficult terrain, for long periods, as needed. Must be able to perform job related tasks, which would include but not be limited to: climbing, walking over uneven ground, lifting up to 50 pounds, exposure to dust and fumes, and occasional exposure to adverse weather.
The candidate must have or be able to obtain certification as a Qualified Stormwater Management Inspector under the FDEP Stormwater Erosion and Sediment Control Inspector Training Program upon hire.
Candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to provide exceptional customer service.
Candidate will be required to possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver's license.
ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST I - An Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university, or an equivalent of two years undergraduate studies with major course work in Environmental or Civil Engineering, the natural sciences, or a related field.
ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST II - Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in Environmental or Civil Engineering, the natural sciences, or a related field and one-year environmental experience.
SR. ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree and major course work in Environmental or Civil Engineering, Geology, the natural sciences, or a related field and three years of environmental experience.
ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST I: Starting Salary $18.72 - $24.04 per hour based on qualifications.
ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST II: Starting Salary $20.31 - $26.40 per hour based on qualifications.
SR ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST: Starting Salary $23.85- $31.02 per hour based on qualifications.