- Safety - Knowledge of occupational hazards, safety precautions, and safety regulations related to
equipment operation and general construction work. Knowledge of traffic laws and regulations
governing the operation of equipment.
- Interpersonal Relationships/Customer Service – Develops and maintains cooperative and
professional relationships with employees, representatives from other departments and
organizations, and the public.
- Judgement/Decision Making –Uses logic and reasoning to understand, analyze, and evaluate
situations and exercise good judgment to make appropriate decisions.
- Communication – Excellent ability to communicate complex ideas and proposals effectively so
others will understand to include preparation of reports, agendas, and policies. Excellent ability
to listen and understand information and ideas presented verbally and in writing.
- Time Management – Ability to plan and organize daily work routine. Establishes priorities for the
completion of work in accordance with sound time-management methodology.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Requires 3-5 years of work experience in the operation of Class II and Class III equipment or an
equivalent combination of education and experience.
Graduation from a recognized motor equipment operator apprenticeship program may substitute for
up to one year of experience.
Requires satisfactory results from a pre-employment medical evaluation; pre-employment substance
abuse testing and is subject to random alcohol and controlled substance testing.
Requires a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
Must obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) permit prior to employment and complete the
practical portion of the CDL test within 60 days of employment.
Must successfully complete the required National Incident Management System (NIMS) Incident
Command System Certifications and the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Flagger and
Intermediate Work Zone Traffic Control Certifications within one year of employment.
The job is considered Essential Personnel and will be required to work during and following natural
disasters and emergency situations.