We are currently accepting applications for a Stormwater Superintendent who is organized and has excellent communication and leadership skills. The Superintendent plans, directs, and coordinates the operations of the stormwater division within the Public Works Department. The City of Lenexa Municipal Services is a nationally accredited agency through the American Public Works Association. Duties and responsibilities include formulating policies, managing daily operations, and direct supervision of two stormwater foremen with the common mission of serving the public with integrity and innovation.
Day-to-day operation of the stormwater division includes, but is not limited to, traditional stormwater infrastructure maintenance including inlet, outlet, and pipe repairs, stream stabilization and restoration, native vegetation management including identification, planting, weed control, harvesting, and seed collection. The superintendent is also responsible for the City’s street sweeping program. This position also develops a maintenance budget for the Director’s review and manages the approved budget.
This position assumes a leadership role within the Public Works Department. Work is performed independently with general supervision and review. This role includes working to achieve and promote the City’s and department’s mission and values of integrity, teamwork, service, vision, dedication, and caring.
- Schedules work for various crews, schedules maintenance projects, reviews work assignments with supervisors in the division, maintains a current schedule of work to include routine maintenance and emergency maintenance items, assigns projects, ensures high degree of productivity and quality of work produced.
- Monitors service request system and responds to citizen complaints and work orders in a timely and professional manner.
- Coordinates and manages the City wide street sweeping program. Assists with training staff on the proper techniques for street sweeping while keeping up to date on the new technology, techniques and materials for street sweeping.
- Maintains accurate records of stormwater maintenance activities for updating the departments work order system and tracking for performance measures.
- Responsible for the safety, loss prevention, and training programs for the division. Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency and safety of work crew. Interpret city/department policies to workers and enforces safety regulation in the field by monitoring activities for safe practices and trains workers in safe handling of hazardous and other materials.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual operating budget; monitors and controls divisional expenditures.
Additional Examples of work Performed
- Responds to citizen complaints and work orders as assigned by supervisor.
- This position is subject to being called out for emergencies such as snow removal or storm damage recovery operations.
- High school diploma or G.E.D. and six years of public works experience, including two years of supervisory experience; experience and two years of supervisory experience or Bachelor’s Degree in environmental science, botany, ecology and four years of public works experience and two years of supervisory experience.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Possession of a valid Class A commercial driver’s license (CDL) (with endorsements for Tanker and Air Brakes) within 180 days of hire.
- Possession of Supervisors Work Zone Safety Certification including flagging within one year of hire.
- Possession of SC-130/SC-190 Wildland Fire Certification or the ability to obtain one within one year of hire.
- Knowledge of the following computer programs and software: Microsoft word, excel, outlook, power point, ADP, GIS, AVL technology, Lucity, etc.
Compensation and Benefits hiring range is $61,607 to $75,316 dependent on qualifications and directly related experience. The City offers a highly competitive compensation package including health, dental, life, short-term disability; state defined benefit pension plan, city matching defined contribution retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, access to an on-site health clinic and much more. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of pre-employment physical, drug screen and background check.
To apply please complete an online application. Please include both resume and cover letter reflecting any work history you may have during the past 10 years. For best consideration apply soon as applications will be accepted until 2/07/2020. The city of Lenexa is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE.