Under general direction, plans, designs and reviews construction plans for major paving and drainage projects. Performs all contract management functions for stormwater related projects.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Ability to manage assigned capital paving and drainage projects through design, right-of-way, utility and construction phases.
2. Ability to evaluate proposals related to projects requiring contract engineering work, direct the preparation of project cost estimates for competitive bidding purposes and review plans of consulting/ engineering firms performing work for the City and evaluate their performance.
3. Ability to process contractor estimates, perform construction contract modifications and negotiate contract changes and change order costs and final acceptance of construction.
4. Ability to make presentations, facilitate meetings, and compile written reports to City Council, various committees and commissions, professional and technical personnel, and the public.
5. Ability to respond to difficult and sensitive public inquiries and assist with resolutions and alternative recommendations
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering and hydrology and hydraulic engineering related to the design, construction, and maintenance of public works projects.
Knowledge of surveying practices and procedures, drafting, design and inspection of stormwater and floodplain projects.
Knowledge of laws and local ordinances pertaining to stormwater and floodplain projects.
Knowledge of the methods, equipment and materials used in surface and underground construction and
Knowledge of current stormwater and floodplain management methods to ensure minimum criteria is met.
Skill in the use of hydrologic and hydraulic software such as HECHMS, TR-20, SWMM, HECRAS, XP-SWMM and/or similar programs.
Skill in planning, organizing and coordinating multiple engineering projects.
Skill in interpreting and writing engineering specifications.
Skill in communicating orally and in writing with the public and professionals.
Ability to apply City Subdivision Rules and Regulations and the Stormwater and Floodplain Management Program
Qualifying Education and Experience:
Civil Engineer - Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering plus four years' experience in the field of public works engineering, paving, drainage, water, or wastewater, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Possession of a valid Driver's License (Class C). Professional Engineer (PE) license with the ability to secure Texas registration within six months.
Graduate Engineer - Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or related science or equivalent combination of education and experience. Possession of a valid Driver's License (Class C). Engineer in Training (EIT)/Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) certificate or the ability to obtain one within 1 year of hire. This position requires successful completion of criminal background check, motor vehicle record check and drug & alcohol testing. Reasonable accommodation available upon request.