The City of Sioux City is looking for an individual to fill the role of Civil Engineer. This role is responsible for project management and project estimates of civil engineering plans. Designs streets, water systems, and sewer systems. Supervises the preparation, administration and review of plans, estimates, inspections, reports, contract documents and similar materials for major projects, prepares cost estimates on engineering projects. Answers questions from staff, contractors, and the public regarding construction projects.
- Responsible for project management and project estimates of civil engineering plans.
- Designs streets, water systems, and sewer systems.
- Directs professional and paraprofessional subordinates in the department in the study, development, design and inspection of field work of a variety of engineering projects.
- Supervises the preparation, administration and review of plans, estimates, inspections, reports, contract documents and similar materials for major projects; prepares cost estimates on engineering projects.
- Answers questions from staff, contractors and the public regarding construction projects.
- Assists in preparing departmental budget; prepares C.I.P. budget estimates.
- Directs research studies and compilation of comprehensive reports; prepares various memorandums and letters.
- Designs and prepares plans and specifications and the survey, construction, and inspection of street, airport, bridge, sidewalk, sewer, and related municipal improvements.
- Evaluates cost effectiveness of construction techniques such as asphalt surfacing.
- Maintains regular and punctual attendance and working hours.
- Regularly lifts up to 10 pounds and occasionally lifts up to 30 pounds.
- Expected to temporarily perform duties outside of normal classification in the event of a declared emergency. In the event that an employee is excused from work other than being sick, they will be required to report to work in a state of declared emergency.
Cognitive Demands, Skills and Abilities: Ability to speak clearly so others can understand you, ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer), ability to see details at a distance, ability to identify and understand the speech of another person, ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
Job Knowledge: Strong knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering as related to the preparation of plans and specifications for a variety of public works projects; strong knowledge of modern methods and techniques as applied to the design, construction, and maintenance of public works projects; strong knowledge of the land and engineering survey systems, methods and techniques; strong knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of engineering drafting; good knowledge of current developments and literature in the field of civil engineering; ability to instruct subordinate personnel in proper work methods and to supervise their work; ability to adapt approved engineering methods and standards to the design, construction and maintenance of a variety of public works projects; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, associates, representatives of other agencies, municipal officials and the general public; ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing; good physical condition.
Language Ability and Interpersonal Communication: Requires effective communication skills and the ability to provide assistance to customers (external and internal). Re-quires the ability to write and speak effectively with fellow employees, City Council, and the general public; read in English; apply common sense understanding to the work process, procedures, programs and services; and to provide and follow verbal and written instructions. Requires the ability to work as a member of a team in order to accomplish tasks; the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public; and the ability to relate to minorities, women, and other protected classes in the community at all socioeconomic levels.
Physical Requirements: Regularly lifts up to 10 pounds and occasionally lifts up to 30 pounds.
Work Environment: Fifty percent of work is normally performed in a normal inside office environment with appropriate heating and cooling and is not subject to significant occupational or environmental hazards other than those normally associated with general public contact, dust or odors. Field conditions outdoors are varying weather conditions, with varying street level noises; and visiting locations within the community whose environment may be different from the City's. Travel in all types of weather extremes to attend training and/or organizes meetings conferences, and workshops; must be mobile and able to visit complainants and businesses within the metro area.
Minimum Required Qualifications
Bachelor's degree in civil engineering or related discipline such as environmental, transportation, construction, structural, municipal, urban, water resource engineering or geotechnical engineering. Any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skill and abilities.
Possession of a valid Iowa driver's license or the ability to obtain one within two months of the date of hire. Possession of an Engineer in Training Certificate as issued by the Iowa Professional Licensing Bureau – Engineering and Land Surveying Examination Board or the ability to obtain one within one year of the date of hire. Must become registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Iowa within five years of hire.