The testing process may include a practical exam.
Applications will be considered from both qualified in-house and outside candidates. There is currently a second opening for Lead Worker I - Storm/Sewer. Any candidates interested in both positions must submit two separate online applications.
This position is responsible for coordinating the material, equipment, and personnel needs to perform the tasks of a particular operating division under the direction and supervision of the division manager or supervisor.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB CLASS: This is the first level position in the lead worker job series. Positions in this class perform the more complex and specialized tasks requiring advanced technical skills in their field of specialty. Work is performed within established procedures; however, incumbents complete tasks independently and apply established guidelines and alternatives to make judgments and decisions.
This class differs from the Lead Worker II class in that those positions require a higher level of technical skills, have lead responsibilities for a greater number of employees, and/or perform a wider variety of responsibilities than Lead Worker I.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES:
Other duties may be assigned as needed.
When assioned to the Street Maintenance Division:
1. Performs and acts as lead in the maintenance, repair and construction of city streets and right-of-ways; installation and cleaning of storm drain systems, ditches and culverts including disposal.
2. Supervises asphalt projects.
3. Assists with coordinating work in the right-of-way, including preparing permit applications, developing TESC plans, traffic control plans, and locating work areas through the One-Call Center.
Lead Worker I assiqned to all departments perform these essential functions:
1. Assists Supervisor in estimating time, material, equipment, and personnel needed to perform assigned work and work of crew.
2. Assists Supervisor in preparing work schedules and assigning tasks to ensure completion of projects/tasks efficiently and on time.
3. Coordinates with other divisions/departments and equipment/materials suppliers to ensure completion of projects/tasks efficiently and on time.
4. Operates all equipment used by the division; services equipment, makes minor field repairs and adjustments; reports need for major repair to supervisor and Fleet/Facilities Manager.
5. May be assigned to other divisions operating similar types of equipment during times of peak work loads, worker shortage, public emergency, or other times when critical work needs to be completed.
6. Performs field work and acts as crew lead in assigned division.
7. Responsible for work zone safety, including signage, trenching, confined space permitting, etc.
8. Supervises work of crew in the field to ensure that work is done properly and safely, including providing directions, instructions, and training to crew members, and reviewing their work.
9. Effectively prepares, maintains, and updates charts, files, maps, reports, and other records related to assigned duties; submits work orders.
10. Performs supervisor's duties during their absence.
11. May assist supervisor in preparing annual budget related to assigned duties and crews.
QUALIFICATIONS: A combination of the experience, education, and training listed below which provides an equivalent background to perform the work of this position.
- Four years experience performing a variety of the essential duties of the position or a related position in the applicable technical specialty area is required. . High school diploma or GED is required.
- Knowledge of windows based computers and software applications related to assigned department/division. o Knowledge of the application of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
- Knowledge of basic principles and practices of supervision, including providing directions, instructions, and training to crew members, and reviewing their work.
- Ability to identify, estimate, calculate, and project costs, time, equipment, supplies, and personnel needed for assigned tasks/projects.
- Must possess a Washington State Driver's License.
- Must possess, or have the ability to possess within six months of hire date:
a). first aid and CPR certifications
b). flagging certification
c). confined space certification
d). Public Operator Pesticide Applicator's
e). competent person certification, license may be required.
- Must possess a class "A" Washington State Commercial Driver's License without airbrakes restriction and with tanker endorsement.