Salary: $15.99-$32.81 (DOQ)
Categories: Microbiology, Microbiology - Bacteria, Microbiology - Environmental
POSITION SUMMARY: Performs supervised and unsupervised work in the wastewater treatment plant and lift station to ensure that no degradation of receiving waters occurs. Works directly under the Chief Operator. May be asked to report to senior-level operators when Chief Operator is absent. Will be asked to assist in scheduling of operators/projects, budgeting and other administrative duties. Must possess a Colorado Class D wastewater treatment certificate.
- POSITION REPORTS TO: Chief Operator Wastewater Treatment Plant
- DIRECT REPORTS ASSIGNED: 0
- JOB LOCATION: 2315 Wulfsohn Road, Glenwood Springs, CO 81601
- FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
- CATEGORY: Regular fulltime with benefits
- HOURS: 40 hours per week, or as directed, with occasional standby and overtime necessary
- Demonstrates requisite job knowledge, skills, and operational understanding of a WW operator D.
- Demonstrates basic understanding of laboratory analysis, microbiology, equipment maintenance, HVAC, programming and instrumentation, process control, and asset management.
- Effectively communicates work projects, equipment needs, and planned maintenance to all crew and supervisor.
- Seeks crew consensus and supervisor approval on all operational changes/adjustments, troubleshooting, and repair.
- Collects and calculates WW process control data including wasting, return flows, side stream characterization, solids analysis, influent characterization and effluent quality.
- Can identify and effectively communicate areas for operational improvement.
- Demonstrates sustained commitment to facilities management including grounds maintenance, general tidiness, and plant organization and building maintenance.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively operate and maintain all pumps, motors, mixing systems, controls, HVAC, UV disinfection, laboratory process equipment, and other mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Completes administrative tasks correctly and in a timely manner, including purchasing card reconciliation, timesheets, work orders, maintenance calendars, and invoice processing.
- Ensures safety and training programs are being strictly followed. Must have basic knowledge of general repair of equipment, troubleshooting, and wastewater operations.
OTHER DUTIES: The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Excellent analytical abilities and the ability to be detail-oriented as the situation requires.
- Must be willing to work alone at the plant or in a team, anytime, either day or night, as necessary.
- Willing to perform work that is often physically strenuous and performed in all weather conditions.
- The ability to be exposed to a potentially hazardous environment, and challenging conditions.
- Able to work in a plant where noise, dust, irritants, and malodors may be frequently present.
- Willingness to be assigned standby duty at times other than normal working hours.
EDUCATION, TRAINING & CERTIFICATIONS
- High School diploma, GED or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Valid Colorado driver’s license and be able to obtain a Class A Colorado CDL with air brakes, tanker endorsements within six (6) months of employment.
- Must be familiar with water and/or wastewater safety practices.
- Must be able to learn the appropriate operation of equipment, including heavy construction equipment.
- Must work well with co-workers, personnel from other City departments, and the general public.
- Previous municipal water or wastewater experience
- A degree or background in biology, chemistry or related field
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: Must live within 50 miles from the intersection of Grand Avenue and 8th Street. Total travel time cannot exceed 60 minutes at posted driving speeds.