The Village is currently accepting applications for a Superintendent, Water Distribution & Storm Water. This position reports directly to the Utility Director and plans, organizes, manages and directs the operations and services of the Water Production and Storm Water units, and supervises the activities of workers engaged in their operations and maintenance.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
Education and Experience
- Associates degree
- Five (5) years’ related experience; at least 2 years in a supervisory role and 2 years in the installation, repair and maintenance of a water distribution system and its related services.
- Florida Water & Pollution Control Operators Association (FW&PCOA) level “2” Water Distribution, and Level “B” Stormwater license (or commitment to obtaining within 12 months of employment in this job classification).
- Backflow Prevention Tester Certification (or commitment to obtaining within 12 months of employment in this job classification).
Licensing and Certification
- Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver's license.
Necessary Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge in water distribution, drainage systems.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, materials, equipment and procedures used in the maintenance, construction, reconstruction, and repair activities of municipal utility systems.
- Advanced skills in the operations of a variety of hand tools and construction equipment ranging from hand electrical drills to backhoe.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state and Village codes, regulations and ordinances governing the administration of the distribution and storm water systems.
- Strong knowledge of repair and maintenance practices of mechanical equipment and machinery.
- Sound knowledge of general management principles and practices to include budgeting, policy and procedure development, and personnel management and supervision.
- Sound skill in analyzing and evaluating information and providing oral and written reports and recommendations on technical, administrative and financial matters.
- Sound skills in planning, organizing, assigning and coordinating the activities of professional and technical staff.
- Technical competence with Microsoft software suite of products.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees; other departments and the public and others in a courteous and professional manner that builds cooperation and consensus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages Village water and stormwater systems by planning, coordinating, supervising, operating and budgeting resources including service technicians, contractors, vendors, supplies, inventory and equipment.
- Supervises and participates in the installation and repair of water mains, service lines, leaks, hydrants and valves; the repair and installation of meters and pipes, and operates heavy equipment related to these tasks.
- Recommends hiring, terminations, promotions and demotions; conducts performance evaluations and makes recommendations for disciplinary actions; handles employees’ complaints and grievances.
- Schedules the work-shifts of operating personnel and responds to emergency calls.
- Assists with the development of the department’s budget, monitors and approves expenditures, adjusts budget as needed and manages purchasing activities, including vendor bids
- Performs preventative maintenance on Village infrastructure, and maintains related inventory.
- Oversees assigned projects and contractual services provided to the Village and reviews work to ensure timely completion within established budget.
- Prepares inspection reports, maintains operational manuals and procedures.
- Enforces regulations, policies, work procedures and safety rules, and provides and enforces the use of appropriate safety equipment.
- Monitors required employee certification and training and ensures licenses and certifications are kept current.
- Responds to customer inquiries and complaints.
- Facilitates Risk Management audits and implements recommendations
- Serves on various committees to provide technical expertise and advice related to project design and execution.
- Subject to respond to emergencies 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, 365 days/year and may be recalled after regular working hours at periodic intervals as assigned.
- Frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is exposed to vibration.
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms.
- Frequently required to walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and smell.
- Frequently lifts and/or moves up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.