Are you looking for a new and exciting opportunity to make Denver a livable, inclusive, healthy city? Are you passionate about parks, resiliency and climate adaptation? Denver Parks and Recreation’s Planning, Design and Construction Division is excited to announce the launch of its new Resiliency Program and is looking to hire a Senior Natural Resources Planner. This position will assist in leading exciting changes for Denver Parks and Recreation through advancing the goals of The Game Plan for a Healthy City and leading impactful projects that benefit local communities.
- Leads and coordinates complex planning and design projects with multi-agency/multi-jurisdictional planning efforts. Develops long-range and short-term strategic plans, programs, goals, and policies involving city and region-wide planning initiatives
- Collaborates and partners with the Mile High Flood District and Denver Public Works Wastewater Division to design and implement resiliency projects along Denver's waterways, including the South Platte River and Cherry Creek
- Assist in prioritizing landscape conversion and restoration projects per the Landscape Typology to meet water conservation goals
- Leads and coordinates parks resiliency projects, while coordinating with other agencies to incorporate green infrastructure, environmental stewardship, stormwater management, pollinator establishment and open space needs
- Participates in the development and maintenance of the Parks Resiliency Plan and other specialized city and external agency plans to ensure planning programs and projects are consistent with park planning principles and criteria, applicable regulations, and other relevant factors
- Develops the scope of work for projects including preparing a planning assessment, environmental research and assessment, permit requirements, zoning policy and regulations, the public involvement process, data analysis functions, timelines, and budget
- Serves as the technical consultant and advisor for the resiliency program, official planning committees, citizen groups, City Council, and other stakeholders related to park planning policies and standards, resiliency issues, processes, procedures, and environmental regulations and requirements
- Facilitates meetings and presentations to bring together interested stakeholders to discuss proposed planning initiatives, project designs, and resiliency program goals
- Manages the work of consultants, contractors, and other employees assigned to specific projects
- Participates in the formation of capital improvement projects and design review of projects to ensure program scope, planning criteria, and standards are met while coordinating specifics with stakeholders and government agencies providing planning approval
- Assists in grant writing and compliance for local, state and federal grants
We are looking for a self-directed and dedicated planning professional with strong attention to detail and project management skills. The incumbent will need to be a team-player who works well with a variety of stakeholders throughout the life of a project. Additionally, our ideal candidate will possess:
- Master’s degree or higher in Landscape Architecture, Environmental Planning, Natural Resource Management or a related degree
- Professional experience in natural resources planning and design
- Bilingual skills (Spanish preferred)
- Proficiency with: Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, ArcGIS
We realize that your time is valuable so please do not apply unless you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Education requirement: Bachelor’s Degree in City or Regional Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Historic Preservation, Engineering, or a related degree.
- Experience Requirement: Five (5) years of professional planning experience.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: One (1) year of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
- License/Certifications: Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.
About Everything Else
CE0429 City Planner Senior
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range
$73,157.00 - $117,051.00
Parks and Recreation
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.