Engineering Technician II
In this position, you will work under the supervision of a Senior Stormwater Plan Review Engineer to conduct detailed reviews of various types of drainage reports, applications, and plans related to private development. You will also coordinate with City departments and customers and assist with more complex reviews and project meetings.
Essential Job Functions - the basic job duties an employee must be able to perform:
- Conduct construction and development plan reviews; complete review within the maximum allotted time frame
- Ensure compliance with all pertinent City codes, policies, standards, and drainage criteria
- Review and approve drainage reports, grading/erosion control plans, and constructions plans
- Prepare detailed information for applicants; provide technical assistance
- Visit development sites as required for project review
- Respond to questions and inquiries from the public, contractors, and developers
- Interface with other City departments and Colorado Springs Utilities on projects
We are looking for candidates who demonstrate:
- Environmental Protection Agency MS4 (Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System), City drainage criteria, Pikes Peak Regional Floodplain, and Army Corp of Engineers
- Methods and techniques of engineering plan design, review, and approval
- Erosion control and Best Management Practices
- Understand and interpret surveying notes and data
- Learn principles and practices of construction, inspection, and record keeping
- Learn concepts related to the City's 4-step process, full spectrum detention, and low impact development techniques
- Explain pertinent City policies and procedures
- Ensure that all assigned activities are in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, City officials, and the public
- Work independently
Successful candidate will have:
- High school diploma or GED supplemented by additional specialized training in engineering technology related to civil, environmental, and/or water resources engineering
- Three years of full-time engineering technology experience related to civil, environmental, and/or water resources engineering
- Possess and maintain a valid, non-probationary Colorado driver's license not subject to restriction related to alcohol and/or drug violations or pending charges is required
Ideal candidates will also have:
- Associates degree in a related field
- Five years of full-time engineering technology experience related to civil, environmental and/or water resources engineering
This position requires the ability to sit, stand, and walk for extended periods and lift up to 30 pounds occasionally.
Primary Work Environment - Office environment with some travel from site to site
Extreme Temperature - Seasonally
Wetness and Humidity - Seasonally
Respiratory Hazards - Never
Noise and Vibrations - Never
Physical Hazards - Never
Mechanical and/or Electrical Hazards - Never
Exposure to Communicable Diseases - Never
This job announcement is not intended to include a complete listing of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.
Please visit https://coloradosprings.gov/jobs and click on 'Apply for a City Career' > 'City Career Postings – Apply Now' button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position's closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position.
To view the City's job classifications, including physical demands and descriptions, go to https://www.coloradosprings.gov/human-resources/page/job-classifications-descriptions.
To view the status of your application, go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cosprings/default.cfm.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to http://coloradosprings.gov/jic
If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility