1st REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS: NOVEMBER 1, 2019
SALARY RANGE: $4,115 - $5,161/month
A position in this classification will be represented by Teamsters Local 763.
Under the direction of the Surface Water Maintenance Supervisor or Surface Water Maintenance Worker II, perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled duties in the maintenance, repair and construction of surface water facilities including man-made and natural retention/detention systems and collection and conveyance systems; demonstrate the proper and safe operation and operate a variety of heavy and light vehicles, specialized equipment, hand and power tools.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform inspection of public and private surface water facilities and appurtenances for maintenance and repair conditions. Using hand tools, clean and repair catch basins, manholes, storm lines, retention/detention ponds, and vaults.
- Perform vegetation control using hand, power, and riding machinery; application of chemicals to weeds, grass and insects. Assist in planting, pruning and maintenance of trees, shrubs, and other vegetation.
- Break and remove asphalt or other surfaces using air, electric, or hydraulic jackhammers, chipping guns, pick, shovel, etc.
- Operate division vehicles in a proper and safe manner to transport personnel, materials, and miscellaneous equipment. Perform routine maintenance and repair to division equipment and vehicles including maintaining filters, hoses, fuel, oil and other fluid levels.
- Operate maintenance and construction equipment, including but not limited to, storm eductor truck with high velocity water jet equipment, backhoe, dump truck, power mowers (riding or walk-behind), and power cut off pipe saws.
- Manually or using equipment, assist in excavation of trenches to proper grade and line, placement bedding and laying pipe and appurtenances; backfill and compaction of storm lines. Also assist in the clean up of job sites.
- Assist in a variety of construction projects and duties such as building forms, mixing, pouring and finishing of concrete, removal and/or replacement of asphalt, concrete curb and gutters, and sidewalks.
- Assist in the preparation and updating of a variety of division records and maps including diagrams of streets, manholes, catch basins, pipes, open channels, ditches and retention/detention facilities.
- Perform asphalt work including installation of berms, patches, etc., associated with Surface Water related maintenance repairs.
- Perform work in underground pipes, manholes, catch basins and vaults in accordance with OSHA safety regulations.
- Remove litter and debris from roadside, streams, and drainage facilities.
- Work for extended periods of time and be on 24-hour call for emergencies such as flooding, system failures and snow and ice removal.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Methods, materials, tools and equipment used in surface water maintenance operations and repair and construction service areas.
- Layout, operation, and activities of surface water systems and street department duties.
- Operation, use and care of hand and power tools and equipment used in general construction and maintenance work and grounds keeping.
- Operation of light and heavy vehicles and equipment.
- Appropriate health and safety practices, procedures and work hazards related to surface water maintenance activities.
- Basic record keeping techniques.
- Perform a variety of responsible duties in the maintenance, repair, and construction of surface water facilities.
- Operate, service and make minor repairs to tools and equipment used in general maintenance and construction work.
- Apply specialized chemicals to control vegetation, insects, etc.
- Perform skilled and/or semi-skilled tasks without close supervision.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Meet schedules and timelines.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the general public.
- Be available to work and be on-call to respond to emergency situations such as flooding, hazardous spills and snow and ice control during other than normal work hours.
- Perform heavy physical labor in all weather conditions.
- Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
- Physical ability to perform the essential job functions.
- Demonstrated ability to positively and effectively interact with diverse individuals to accomplish a common goal.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and two years experience in a maintenance, repair, or construction field.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Must possess a valid Washington State Driver's License and are encouraged to obtain a commercial driver's license endorsement. Must possess a valid Washington State Pesticide and Insecticide License or have the ability to obtain within one (1) year of the date of employment. Must possess a valid first aid certificate and traffic control/flagging card or have the ability to obtain within three (3) months of employment.
TO APPLY: Please complete a required City of Federal Way application form and attach resume and cover letter. Applications are available at City Hall, 33325 8th Avenue South, Federal Way, WA 98003, on our website at www.cityoffederalway.com,
The City of Federal Way is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace. Applicants may request a copy of the City's EEOP Utilization Report by contacting Human Resources at 253-835-2531. Any person requiring ADA accommodation should advise the City of the need. For telecommunications relay service for voice and text telephones call 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388/TTY or 1-800-833-6384/voice.