GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
The purpose of this classification is to perform grounds keeping and landscaping duties in assigned areas, such as street medians and right-of-ways, parks, preserve areas, beach access locations, lake shorelines, or other City locations. Employees in this class perform duties that provide the City and the public with safe, attractive, comfortable, clean, and efficient areas in which to work, conduct business, and/or enjoy leisure and recreation.
EMERGENCY RESPONSE STATEMENT
Every City employee has emergency response responsibilities, though not every position will require routine assignments during an emergency event. All employees may be subject to recall around the clock for emergency response operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the normal work location, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official job description. Assignments in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature, with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically and operationally challenging conditions.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Uses appropriate chemicals and cleaners safely and productively according to instructions to ensure personal, public, and personnel safety.
- Maintains assigned roadways, grounds, parks, beaches, and waterways by cleaning, planting, fertilizing, irrigating, mowing, weeding, pruning, raking, and removing general trash and debris.
- Prepares areas for sod, planting, and athletics; prunes trees on City rights-of-way for risk reduction visibility and elevation clearance; corrects public safety hazards such as hanging limbs, loose turf, and debris; removes and controls exotic and invasive vegetation.
- Provides assistance for the installation and repair of irrigation lines and devices; monitors working condition of irrigation systems.
- Complies with safe operating methods on work sites by setting barricades, cones, and signs, and monitoring and directing traffic; complies with FDOT Traffic M.O.T. Regulations.
- Coordinates restoration of work sites by re-surfacing, compacting fill, performing sod, soil and plant removal and restoration.
- Operates or uses various vehicles, equipment, power tools, hand tools, and supplies in order to complete work assignments; operates and maintains vehicles, dump trailers, boats, and equipment in the collection and disposal of debris, litter, waste, City refuse, and beach and waterway clean up; operates a variety of hand held electric, gas-powered and manual tools, such as mowers, blowers, edgers, trimmers, saws, and other hand and power tools used in grounds or beach maintenance.
- Maintains general records, such as daily work orders, tasks completed, supplies and materials utilized, equipment used and/or serviced, fuel use and other related reports that may be assigned.
- Performs routine cleaning and preventive maintenance of assigned trucks, tractors, trailers, boats, equipment, machinery, and/or tools to maintain safe and proper operating condition; performs daily pre- inspection and post inspections; cleans equipment and tools after each use and maintains cleanliness and order in storage areas; reports equipment malfunctions and facility/grounds maintenance needs to immediate supervisor.
- Monitors supplies and materials inventory for the purpose of ordering as needed.
- Performs duties independently or as part of a work crew, according to assignment.